Good morning, Powerful Women!!
First, I just want to start by saying, “Thank you!” Thank you for clicking this post and reading! There are so many get thin quick recipes out there, and before we even begin this post, I assure you, this is not that post. Again, I repeat: THIS POST IS NOT A GET THIN QUICK POST. There, now that that’s out of the way, we can be normal and talk about healthy food.
Over the years, I’ve had a bit of a love – hate relationship with food. I love food, but I hate the effects of my favorite foods… That is until I learned about other foods and realized that my favorites were only favorites because they were all I knew. Women are basically told what our favorite foods are from day 1: chocolate, chocolate ice cream, PASTAAAA, carbs, lattes, blah blah blah…. Yeah, we love these things, but why? Well, because they are “comfort food” and they make us feel better. There’s gotta be a better way to make us feel better though, right?! I’m going to share a quick, very short list of tips that might help you to enjoy your favorite foods a little better.
- All is Good in Moderation – Enjoy your favorite foods, in moderation. Eat a salad, in moderation. Drink water, in moderation. Have your favorite starbucks sugary latte, in moderation. See how that works? You don’t have to cut out everything and only eat the green grassy stuff to be healthy; just keep it all in moderation.
- Portion Awareness – I won’t use the C word (control) when talking about food. It’s not about control. That word sends the wrong message, one that I lived by for far too long, so instead of having portion control, be portion aware. Know what is on your plate, decide what is an appropriate amount for you personally, and then enjoy that healthy amount of delish cuisine.
- After Effects – This is my favorite tid bit on food. How does your food make you feel? My favorite food is Mexican (the Americanized version lol). I love rice, beans, enchiladas, chips and salsa, guac, tacos, taco salads, taco supremes…. I mean, really I just love it all. I would eat Mexican food every day for the rest of my life, I love it that much. Fun fact: Mexican food loves me back in a really special way. The feeling I have (almost immediately) after consuming *usually very large amounts* of Mexican food is blaaaaaaahhhhhh and bloooooaaaaty and gross and ugh. So, I’ve learned to consider the after affects when choosing where/what to eat. I physically cannot handle my favorite food everyday, so I don’t. The key here is just know what food is going to do to your body and how it is going to make you feel afterwards.
- Watch your Drink – Water is life. (There’s a whole spiritual meaning to this concept that I’m desperately holding back on!) Anyways, water is everything. If you can add a healthy amount of water to your daily routine, you will start to feel the effects after just a few days. Your skin, nails, hair, and overall physical well-being is improved with a good amount of water in your day.
- Know Why – Last tip, know why: why you want it, why you’re eating it, why you’re not eating it, why you think you should or shouldn’t eat it. There are so many rules and guidelines and tips out there on what not to eat, what to eat, etc. Be careful what you read and believe; do your own research. (Or if you’re able, visit a nutritionist.) It wasn’t until I knew why I should eat/drink certain things that I started wanting them. Something about knowing that you are lacking can help create a spirit of necessity for you. Also, if you know why you’re craving certain foods, you can figure out healthier options to fill that void if needed.
Well, that’s all for today! I’m not a professional or licensed in any way to train nutritionally. My tips are truly just a broad overview of what has worked in my life and in the lives of some of my friends and family. I hope that you enjoy food and learn to understand and embrace how food is such an important necessity in life.
P.S. –> Don’t forget to hug yourself today!!
– the Wife